Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I obtain forms for recording purposes?

Our office provides a limited number of forms, including the Declaration of Value form. (Please see "Recorder's Office Forms" on the left.) Other forms are available at most office supply, stationary stores or title companies. Please be sure that these forms meet our formatting requirements before mailing them in for recording (see Requirements). Mining forms and additional information are also available online at the Bureau of Land Management's website. Uniform Commercial Code forms are available at the Nevada Secretary of State's website

What happens to my document when it is presented for recording?

If the document meets the form requirements, is complete, and the proper fees have been paid we will accept your document and make it a matter of public record. We then key the pertinent information to create an index so that you may locate this document in the future. The document is scanned into our computer system and a backup microfilm copy is also made. Your original document will be returned as directed. If the original document is ever lost or misplaced, a certified copy may be obtained from our office.

Will I receive my original document back after recording?

Yes, original documents are returned at time of service, or via USPS. Documents are mailed on the next business day - delivery times are subject to USPS processing times.

How do I add/remove a name from my property?

Please contact either a title company or receive legal counsel to assist you in preparing the necessary documentation that will need to be recorded.

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage certificate?

A certified copy of your marriage certificate will be available once the marriage official brings the certificate into our office and it is recorded. By law, they have up to ten business days to do so. Please send your request to our office along with a $15.00 money order. Marriage certificate requests are usually filled within 2 days of our receipt of the request.

How do I obtain a copy of an official record?

Pursuant to NRS 247.305 copies of official records are $1.00 each and copy fees must be collected in advance. Call or email us to find out the exact number of pages for the document(s) you wish to receive. Please refer to our Fee Schedule for a complete list of charges.

Will the Recorder’s Office perform a record search for me?

No, our office is not licensed, bonded or insured to provide this type of service. Please contact either a title company, a private abstractor, or receive information from legal counsel to obtain this information.

What is the purpose of "recording" documents?

Recording documents fulfills the statutory requirements of perfecting documents in public records. The purpose of "recording" a document is to preserve it in an "archive" that is accessible when questions of precedence or ownership arise.

What are your recording requirements?

Please refer to our Deed Recording Requirements to see what is required when recording a deed. All other documents must meet the requirements found in NRS.

What is Real Property Transfer Tax?

Real Property Transfer Tax (RPTT) is a tax collected when an interest in real property is conveyed pursuant to NRS 375. This amount is collected in addition to recording fees at the time of recording. A Declaration of Value form is required to be completed on which the tax is calculated. The rate is $1.95 for each $500 of value or fraction thereof. The basis for the tax is the actual selling price or the estimated market value. There are several exemptions from the tax. Please see our List of Exemptions to see if one applies.

Does your office provide copies of birth/death records?

Certified copies of death and birth records may be obtained here through 1911. After that year, certified copies may be obtained by contacting the Nevada State Division of Health, Section of Vital Statistics.

Thank you for visiting Humboldt County's, web site - Come back again soon.